Todoist not retrieving email tasks that were added with Gmail plugin
I have multiple gmail accounts, but only one that I use with Todoist. I have added some emails ask tasks via the "Add" button that comes with the Gmail Todoist plugin. However, when I later click on the task in Todoist, it cannot link me back to the original email because it will refresh the webpage and attempt to log me into my other gmail account. Even when I have logged out of all gmail accounts except the one I intend to use with Todoist, it will log me out of Gmail entirely when I click the task.
How can this be fixed? Or how can I disconnect my alternate gmail so that Todoist doesn't attempt to reach it to find email tasks that aren't in there?
When I click the task and the alternate gmail account is logged in, it will switch to that gmail account and display "Error: the email cannot be found" at the top.
Please clarify, which browser are you using? Are you only signed into one account at a time, when trying to open these links?
I have without the issue been able to add a task from two different accounts, and without either of them being open, click the link and it opens the correct account. Note, both accounts are signed in though.
Also, have you moved the email since adding the task?
I am having exactly the same issue. Using chrome - version 30.0.1599.10 on a Mac. Link works initially then issues start. I have deleted app and reinstalled it to no avail.
Should probably add that i am using a google apps for business. But the problem is also replicated in the chrome app too, so not sure this is really relevant.
Thank you for your report, we're looking into this now.
Clicking on a task created from an email does nothing. Tried it with both gmail add-on (Firefox v25) and Firefox add-on. Doesn't work whether the original has been archived or left in my gmail inbox (ie, not moved). Frustrating, as I cleared my inbox by creating many tasks, and now I have to hunt down the original emails.
Any update on this gmail plugin working?
We're sorry for the inconvenience, we're working on this issue now. It seems to affect some Gmail accounts with a specific URL format and it seems to work only right after you access Gmail and don't view any emails, but not later. We hope to have it fixed very soon.
I have the same problem with this. What I've figured out is the order in which I've signed into my multiple accounts is the culprit. So if I sign into account A then B and then add a email from B to todoist that is the order upon which I have to make sure my accounts are done when firing a link. so If I sign into account B first then A I will get this problem as it is thinking account A is account B for some reason.
Please note that the links are unique for each message and if the message you've linked to is on a different account than the one you're logged into, then the link will never work as Gmail will not allow you to read a mail from a different account without authorization.
Yeah that is right. What I've found is it comes down to the "u" parameter in the URL. Depending on which one I log into first, as I log into all my accounts every time, determines the u value. This is what I've found to fix the problem. If my order wasn't the same when I logged in and then clicked the gmail link I change this u value and it finds the email every time.
The hash being the mail id it seems
Thank you for clarifying, we'll look into this now.
Any luck on this - Im having the same issue
Sorry but there are no updates yet, but we are still looking into it.
This issue has been fixed, please log out of your Todoist account, update the plugin and log back in.