0-minute reminders not working with recurring tasks
I am (considering) migrating from Toodledo and have been moving some tasks over when tonight I got sidetracked by an apparent problem with reminders on repeating tasks. This led to much testing, which I made notes on below, which eventually led to the title-referenced conclusion.
If I set it as an absolute reminder - e.g., task due every 7 days at 3pm starting tomorrow; reminder every 7 days at 2:50pm starting tomorrow - then if I complete the task early, the reminder is still set for tomorrow instead of skipping to the next one. Which makes a kind of literal sense (after all it's an "absolute" reminder), but I'm not sure in a real world situation anyone ever really needs a reminder for a task they already completed.
Absolute reminders are also awkward for recurring tasks in that if I postpone the task or change the due date, the reminder does not follow suit. So, it seems to me that relative reminders are clearly better for recurring tasks... if they work.
1) Sample test task, due every day at 1am starting today, default relative reminder is set and not changed (email 30 minutes before). Get the reminder email for the first one. Look at task on web, still shows default reminder. Look at task on Android - shows "no reminders"; odd. Complete task. Due date now set to tomorrow, and both web and Android show default reminder set. Mark it complete early, due date changes, and both web and Android show default reminder still set. So, this works, with one minor oddity in Android.
2) Sample test task, due every day at 1am starting today, remove default reminder and set one mobile push notification reminder 0 minutes before. Get the reminder for the first one. Look at task on web, still has the little reminder icon, but look at actual reminders tab and it shows "No reminders are set". Look at task on Android - shows "no reminders". Complete task. Due date now to set tomorrow, and web still shows reminder icon, but both web and Android show "No reminders". Manually change tomorrow's due date to today, a few minutes from now. Didn't get a reminder. (Note, at some point the little reminder icon did go away.) Wonder if the problem is that deleting the default reminder makes it go haywire.
4) Keep default reminder, and add one non-default reminder (mobile SMS 10 minutes before). Get reminders for first one. Look at task on web and Android, both show default plus additional reminder set. Complete it. Due date updated, reminders still show in web and Android. Choose "Do it today", which makes it now overdue, get both reminders. So, this works perfectly.
5) Wondering if 0 minute reminder is an issue. Test with default reminder plus mobile push notification at 0 minutes. Get first reminders. Look at task on web and Android -- the default 30 minute email reminder is still there, but the 0 minute push reminder is gone.
6) Now wonder if 0 minutes is the issue, or mobile push. Test with default reminder plus 10 minute mobile push reminder (in other words, same as test 4 but with push notification instead of SMS).
7) Now realizing that whether default reminder is kept or deleted was not the issue, but rather just 0 minute reminders. Test with deleted default reminder, add 0 minute email reminder. Get first reminder, check task on web and Android, the reminder is gone.
8) Test with deleted default reminder, 0 minute SMS, 10 minute push. Get first reminders, check task on web and Android, the 10 minute push reminder is still there, but the 0 minute reminder is gone.
SO. Finally, conclusion is that 0-minute reminders are not working with recurring tasks, as the task deletes them after the first instance.