Adding/editing a task
(1) When adding a task from the widget the labels drop-down box is often disabled. I've not identified a particular circumstance when this happens. It seems sporadic. After adding the task I'm always able to assign labels to it from within the Todoist app.
(2) When editing a task in the Todoist app the back button dismisses any changes whereas a check mark button on the top control bar saves any changes. I'm not a dev but I think that this actually violates Android design guidelines. The back button should always save any changes while a button with an X mark should be shown for canceling any changes.
Reg. issue #1 - unfortunately, we can't reproduce it. Please tell me:
- Are you referring to the full widget, the "Add task" widget or the Quick Add option in the Notifications Area?
- If you'll notice any pattern in when this issue occurs, please let us know as we need to be able to reproduce this issue through certain steps to identify what can cause it.
Reg. issue #2 - according to Android's specification: http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/navigation.html there don't seem to be any restrictions reg. storing changes neither with the "Up" nor the hardware "Back" button.
Regarding #1: I'm referring to the plus button on the full widget. I'll pay more attention to it from now on. Maybe it depends on what I enter as a Task name or project.
Regarding #2: True, that page does not contain any reference to the effect of the back button on either saving or dismissing changes. But be that as it may, I still think this is highly unusual behavior. Every other app I use (including Google's own) saves changes upon tapping the back button. I think this also makes sense unless it is very likely for the user to make an accidental change. Since all the fields in Todoist's task edit dialog invoke a pop-up list before any changes can be made, accidental changes are in fact not very likely at all.
I constantly dismiss changes when I don't want to because I am so used to the back button saving changes. I'd be grateful if your app designers could rethink this...
Thank you very much for your feedback, we'll consider changing this behavior and you're welcome to add a request for it to our Votebox: http://todoist.com/Vote_Android/
Here is an example of the labels field being disabled:
Note how the labels field is 'greyed out' compared to the other fields.
After this occurred I hit the back button, then hit the + button on the widget again in exactly the same way as before and did not get this error.
Unfortunately, we can't reproduce this issue. Please tell me:
- What version of Android are you using?
- What phone are you using?
- What's the default view you've selected for the content of this widget?
- Does this happen every single time you tap on the plus or only after a specific action (after changing the default view, or doing something in the app itself)?
- ROM is stock 4.2.2
- Device is Nexus 4
- Default view is Today but I've also seen this bug with specific labels selected as the default view.
- It does not happen every time I tap the plus. It happens sporadically and doesn't seem to be associated with any action within the widget or the app.
Thank you for this information. I'll pass it to the developers, but unfortunately, we must know how exactly to trigger this feature to identify its source. We'll try to see if we can find it without it, but if you'll ever notice a pattern in when this issue occurs, please let us know.
So I found out that it happens whenever the Todoist service isn't running, like after a reboot before launching the app. You can trigger this bug at any time by force closing the Todoist service. My guess is that the service needs to be running for the widget to pull up the list of labels to initialize that field.
Thank you for this information, I've been able to reproduce this issue now. We'll try to address it in future updates.
I would also like to see this issue fixed. It is inconvenient not to be able to add labels to tasks through the add-task-widget. Whenever I try to add a label when Todoist is not running in the background, I get the message that I have to be a premium member, which I am.