Push Notifications not working
I just upgraded my todoist android app, and now I am unable to receive push notifications. Logging in and out of the app solved the problem previously, but didn't this time.
I also logged out of the web app as well as the android app.
Please try to:
1. Go to Android Settings -> Apps, clear the app's cache, then uninstall it.
2. Log in at https://todoist.com go to Settings -> Reminders and if you see your device listed there, remove it.
3. Install the app again, perform the initial sync and let me know if you see your device listed on the web app ()after refreshing it).
Also, you could try to add one task via Android and sync and see if this will show your device on the list.
Note - make sure you've enabled notification's in the Settings of the Android app (available at the 3-dot icon in the top-right corner).
I did as instructed, and push notifications do not appear to be working when I hit "Send test notification". SMS notifications work fine.
I am also experiencing a problem with push notifications. No matter what I try, I can not get them to work on my tablet or my phone. I tried your steps David and it still is not working. Is there anything else I can try?
I also have difficulties with receiving push notifications. I tried David's suggestions but to no avail.
There does not seem to be any problem with the syncing of tasks, and my device appear on the list after the re-installation.
Didn't notice this until this morning, but I am no longer receiving notifications either.
I have passed your reports to the developers and we'll look into this issue very soon.
Just sent a push notification from Settings > Reminders on the web and it worked. I'm wondering if I didn't wait long enough after having cleared data, uninstalled and reinstalled?
Or you guys fixed it :)
It is working for me now. I guess they fixed it ;)
Great job to the developers!
We've fixed this issue now, we're very sorry for the inconvenience.
It is working fine for me now. Thank you.
Thanks, David. All is well here, too.
Hi David - I have tried the fixes described above, and it's still hanging when I try to send a test push notification to my device from the web app. :(
Additionally, test SMS is also not working. For what it's worth, I have the same phone # but have switched providers from Verizon to Sprint. I updated accordingly on the Web app to reflect this, but still no dice.
OK, fyi SMS is now working but still no push.
Please log out from the mobile app, then delete it, reinstall it and log back in. You could also try to add one task via mobile and sync it. This should show your mobile device on the list in Settings -> Reminders.
Other than that, it should work, I can confirm that there are currently no issues with this service on our end so if your phone is online (connected to the internet) at the time you should receive the notification, it should work.
I have tried all of that, but I will try once again. The device was showing in Settings -> Reminders, that wasn't the issue. It was just that when I clicked on "Send a test (push) message" it was hanging for 5-10 minutes and nothing happened.
My phone is in a low reception area, however I don't think that is the issue because I did get the SMS. The only thing I can think of is that I am using my company's WiFi network and perhaps there is some security preventing this? That would be odd, but I just thought I would throw it out there.
It is possible that if your company's WiFi is through a proxy or similar security measures it could cause problems, but we do not have any documented. If it's possible to try it without being on that network it might be worth doing.
The low reception area could cause a problem for a push notification if that is how you are accessing data, because an SMS is a much smaller amount of information then a Push notification. Though you did say your on WiFi for that.
Hi Brendon - bingo! I was so irritated about this ... and suspected it may be my company's network ... that I actually drove home to test it out. Sure enough, at my house it worked: both with my mobile device in airplane mode w/ WiFi active, AND on 3G w/ WiFi INactive. And I should also note that I get pretty crappy mobile network reception at my house, too (though not as bad as at my office).
So, I think you now have your first documented case of problems being caused by a company's WiFi through a proxy or similar security measures!
To combat this, I got on the phone with Sprint and I ordered one of those network boosting devices to try in my office. I will not be denied using my Todoist!! :)
Thanks guys for the responses.