Filters work differently depending on language setting
Dear customer support,
My task filters work differently on my devices / web service.
For instance on the web based version I have to add a space in front AND after a comma, separating two filters.
Recently Todoist appears in my language (non English), while before I had selected English as my preferred language.
It appeared the filters now are displayed in my mother language as well.
--> The filters work differently, depending on the language I have selected!
When I switch to English, they work fine. Switched back, they yield a different result!
The solution in my situation is to switch (all different browsers on different machines) to English again. I can imagine this is not the desired behaviour...
This needs someone looking into it, I suppose.
Asked by Rein Ketelaars on Oct 16, 2013 - 14:36
Dutch is my mother tongue.
In english my filter is: "@lopend,od,14days"
Switched to dutch my filter changes automatically to: "@lopend, over tijd, 14 dagen"
So the filter gets translated as well.
The difference is that the tasks in category @lopend and all over due tasks aren't shown any more... Only tasks in the following 14 days.
When I switch back to english, it works again...
When I change the filter to: "@lopend,overtijd,14dagen" it also works (spaces removed)!
The overdue query is a bit "special" and it works best when used at the beginning of the search so:
over tijd, @lopend, 14 dagen
works correctly. I can confirm that "@lopend, over tijd, 14 dagen" doesn't work, and "@lopend,overtijd,14dagen" works and in English, it also only works when spaces are removed.
I will pass it to the developers, but for now please either don't use spaces or, if you wouldn't mind, put overdue tasks at the beginning.