Todoist filtering is not working
There seem to be several support questions around this issue, all of them being responded to by saying there is no problem.
Perhaps it would help to be completely clear. Task filtering is no longer working. It has worked perfectly for weeks but has now stopped working.
This applies to the Windows app (which I use most of the time) and the browser app. This is NOT a caching issue.
Clicking the @ symbol shows me the list of filters. For example it shows Doug (me) with 33 tasks. But if I click on my name it says "No tasks matches your query", yet all 33 tasks are still there.
I have also had difficulty signing into the Windows version, with it frequently closing the app before I have done anything.
It appears that some mods or updates have been made and they need to urgently be backed out. This is clearly affecting many users and must be addressed promptly or we will simply have to stop using what has, up till now, been an excellent tool.
Asked by Wordzworth on May 22, 2013 - 07:38
Sorry, but I have to report a different experience, at least with the web app using Todoist v115 and Chrome version 27.0.1453.93 m. on Windows XP Pro SP3.
I can click the "@" to show all labels, click the label of interest and those Tasks *are* shown.
I can't speak to the Windows app, however, and I know how frustrating this is to those have come to depend upon Todoist, but the application is not *completely* broken, at least not on my PC.
We're very sorry for the inconvenience, We have tested all changes before publishing them.
Regarding the reported issue - please tell me, does any of your labels have uppercase letters in their names? I can't reproduce this issue with any labels that is lowercase-only, but I can confirm that there's a problem with uppercase letters within label names and we will fix it ASAP.
Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this issue with any lowercase label and lowercase search for labels. Please tell me, what's the exact name of the label and what are you typing in exactly within the search box (or are you clicking on the label name)?
Some more detailed information for you:
I have a label called "@HITLIST".
When I click on a link for "@HITLIST" then no results are returned.
When I search for "@HISTLIST" then no results are returned.
When I search for "@histlist" then results are returned just fine.
We're very sorry for the inconvenience reg. the uppercase label issue, we're working on it right now and it will be fixed very soon.
Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the issues you've mentioned. Please tell me - you're typing "today" within the search box? Are you using Todoist in English? if not, what exactly do you type into the box to search for today's tasks. As for days, the correct syntax is "7 days", not "days 7", please confirm if it works.
I'm very sorry, but I can't reproduce this. I click on "heute" and see the correct task list for today, same applies to the "7 Tage" link and also typing in "heute" and "7 Tage" shows the correct tasks.
If logging out, clearing the browser's cache, reloading the browser and logging back in doesn't solve this issue, please tell me:
- What browser are you using?
- Can you reproduce it within at least one different browser (if so - which one)?
We've fixed the issue regarding uppercase labels, it will be published shortly with the version 116. Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
@Andreas - the Outlook plugin also uses IE to connect. Could you please confirm if you can reproduce this issue in a different browser (Firefox, Chrome)? Also, please clarify - does typing "heute" within the search box also not work or only when you click on the "heute" link below the search box?
Thank you for confirming that it works in Chrome. We've actually made some changes for IE (no longer emulating earlier versions). If you are using Windows 7 or 8, please try to upgrade to IE 9 (for Win7) or IE10 (for Win8) - these are the latest versions of the browser for these systems (and highly recommended to upgrade for security reasons).
I am delighted to discover that this has now been fixed. I installed the latest version of the Windows app and it is fast to launch and task filtering is back working again.
Task filtering is also working again for us in the browser version (IE9 and Chrome).
Thank you for getting it fixed.
this issue is now fixed, please try to log out and back into Todoist to see the changes.
unfortunately, if you have IE8 at work, this may no longer work correctly as our plugin uses IE to connect. If you use Windows 7 at work, please ask your system administrator to upgrade to IE9 (its recommended for many reasons, incl. security).