how to add tasks via email
When I hover over the envelope next to the project name, a box comes up that reads 'email tasks to this project' , but when I click on the envelope, nothing happens. How do I see the email address to use to add a task?
Asked by Natalie Bray on Aug 22, 2011 - 05:10
please tell me:
- Which browser are you using?
- Are you accessing Todoist directly through the website or through a plugin/add-on (if so - which one)?
- Do you have any ad- or script-blocking plugins installed?
- Does this issue also occur in a different browser?
Richard Elias on Aug 25, 2011 - 13:07
how do i add tasks from my gmail account to my todoist i use chrome?
in order to add task via email, please access a project in Todoist and in the right corner at the top of the task list, click on the small envelope icon. You will see a new window with a unique email address which you can use to add tasks to this project and additional instructions.
If you want to add links to emails as tasks, though, you will need one of our plugins - "Todoist Anywhere" or "Todoist for Chrome".
In order to get Todoist for Chrome, please access Todoist using Chrome and in the top right corner, click "Todoist Help". You'll find the plugin at the top of the page (as "Recommended").
Once you install this plugin, you can go to your GMail account, open an email and then use the plugin to access Todoist. Then go to a project and at the bottom of the list (next to "Add task"), you'll find an "Add email" link. Click on it and a link to this particular email will be created which will redirect you to this message in your GMail account if you use it.
I've been trying to email tasks from outlook 2007, however i just tried 3 times and my tasks does not appear in my todoist account.
I click on the envelope icon, then I copy the emai adress and forward 3 different emails, but nothing happens.
What could cause this problem?
there are two options which may cause such issue:
1. Please make sure that you enter only the "raw" email address as the recipient so if you see this link in the envelope window:
Project Name <email@example.com>;
use only this part:
2. By default, you can only add tasks via email using the email address you've used to sign up to Todoist. To add additional emails, please click on the envelope icon and add all addresses you'd like to use at the bottom of this window.
please follow these steps exactly and confirm if this still doesn't work:
1. Click the envelope icon to open the popup window showing the email address for this project.
2. At the bottom of the window, add the email address from which you want to add tasks.
3. Use the added email address to send an email through it, but create a new message, type TEST MAIL in the subject and TEST within the email body.
4. Send it to the Todoists' project mail you've found in the envelope window.
5. Go to the project you've just sent the mail to.
6. Press CTRL+F5.
Also, please tell me - do you receive an error email to the address you've used to send a task?
that's very unusual. Are you trying to send the same simple mail with a test subject and short text within its content through the primary email address?
Please try to remove the additional email address from the list, then access Todoist Preferences -> Account and change your primary email address to the one that works (your personal Hotmail account), add your lan.com address to the project within the envelope popup window and again try to send a simple short mail through both accounts.
If you won't be able to add a task via email using your work account, please reverse the process so your work account will be primary again, then try to set up an email reminder for a task for the nearest future and let me know if you can receive reminders from Todoist through this address.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Lindsay Levin on Jan 17, 2013 - 21:43
I tried all of the steps above but I still cannot get a task to show up via gmail (primary email) or via outlook (work email), even when I send new test emails. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
There are two ways of adding emails as tasks in Todoist. Both have been explained in detail in our latest blog post. Please take a look at it http://todoist.com/blog/2013/01/zero-inbox-policy-with-todoist/ and let us know if you have any further questions or at which point of the process you're experiencing an issue.
Lindsay Levin on Jan 18, 2013 - 11:05
Thank you for your reply. I reviewed all of that information but I still cannot get anything to show up. Email forwards, new test emails, nothing shows up on todoist when I try to send an email to a project.
What else can I try? This a really important feature and part of the reason I paid for the premium so I would really like to get this working.
We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but as it turns out, there's currently a small technical issue with our mailing server and this feature is temporarily not available. We're working on fixing it right now and we'll inform you once it's done.