Some strange bugs with tasks dates I experience since 9.1.13
Last 2 days I experience some strange bugs with dates of my tasks: I assign a task for Tuesday, but it is shown as due to Wednesday. I assign a task for today, but it is shown as due to tomorrow etc.
It happens like this: I create a task and assign it for today and it is shown as due to today. Then I close my browser and reopen it, and the task is already shown as due to tomorrow. Then I click on this task to edit it, and change nothing, just click save and the tasks is shown as due to today again. This happens also to the tasks I created before. Strangely this happens not to all the task I have, but to many of them. This happens on browser version and on the mobile application as well.
It happens every now and then last 2 days.
Asked by netimen on Jan 11, 2013 - 02:27
I am experience the same problem.
When I create a task to be done every 10th of the month on the mobile app, it appears as due every 11th of the month in the Outlook plug-in and in the web app.
Same thing the other way round : a task created in outlook appears as due one day later in the mobile app...
This is a critical issue to me, since I cannot trust due dates on Todoist any more!
Thanks for your help.
I did log out and back again.
The tasks that were "shifted" are still showing the wrong dates.
Nevertheless, now, when I edit them or when I create new tasks (from Outlook or the iPhone app), the dates do not change anymore.
So let's call it solved for me.
Thanks for the help David!