Sort order for search results
One more question (I hope)... when using the search box to pull up tasks by priority, the results appear to be in a random order, at least for the undated tasks. There is a column in the results that shows the tasks' associated folders. Is there a way to sort on this column to group all related tasks together, similar to the way you can sort tasks in folder views by priority, date, etc.? Otherwise, this list becomes pretty unusable, as it is hard to sift through it to get all tasks with the same context (I use folders as meta categories such as Work, Home, Personal, etc., and it's annoying to have my wood shop projects mixed in with my work tasks). Ideally, I'd like to see all my P2 tasks, organized by folder (or label or date, or whatever).
You can work around this by also assigning a label to each task and then doing a search like 'p2, @work', but this makes data entry much more time consuming, as a label would need to be manually added for each task, instead of just looking at an organized priority list. It also doesn't provide the output on a single screen ... while I'm at work, I may also want to see that I need to call my doctor, for example, and I might miss that if I have to see each screen separately.
Asked by John Voloudakis on Jan 02, 2013 - 18:54
As an addition, this isn't just an issue with the output of a priority search. If you search for a label (e.g. @home), the results also appear randomly and don't seem to be able to be ordered. It would also be useful to be able to show those by folder, by priority, or whatever. It seems like I'm missing how to do this.
Both the priority and the label search results should be grouped by projects and as I was just testing it, I couldn't reproduce this issue. These tasks are sorted primarily by date, but those without a date, displayed at the bottom, are all grouped by projects.
Please try to clear your browser's cache or try to use one different browser to see if the issue persists there as well.
Thanks for the reply. I had been testing in Chrome. I tried it in both Safari and Firefox, and the search results displayed properly. Unfortunately, no amount of tinkering with Chrome has solved the issue there. I tried clearing all locally stored data, as well as restarting my machine, and nothing worked. I also disabled the Todoist extension to see if that would help, but it didn't. (The same behavior for the search also comes up in the Chrome extension).
I'm running on a Mac using the latest version of Chrome (Version 23.0.1271.101). Any additional suggestions appreciated, as Chrome seems to work best for offline access, and I'd like to continue to access Todoist from that browser if possible.
Please tell me, have you tried to manually remove all Todoist's cache in Chrome? Note - clearing it using the regular option to clear the cache may not affect offline storage and app data. Try to go to Chrome's Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Content Settings -> All cookies and site data and remove todoist.com from the list.
Also, since this issue didn't persist the first time you've accessed the app through the other browsers, please tell me - did you choose to allow or deny the permission to store offline data when the browser asked you? What's the default language settings you're using with Todoist?
Thanks for the help trying to track this down. So as an update, I tried what you suggested in Chrome to clear the offline storage, and no effect. I'm still getting a scrambled view of those tasks. I tried fully uninstalling the extension to see if that was storing something, but that didn't work either (unless it's leaving something behind that the regular uninstall can't find).
However, I also tinkered with Safari, and clearing the cache using the hidden 'Develop' menu fixed it. I'm now getting the list the way it should be there. Unfortunately, Safari doesn't work as well offline as Chrome, so I'd still like to get Chrome working.
I tried in Firefox too, and am getting a mostly correct display now, except a couple of tasks assigned to subprojects are showing up at the bottom of the list rather than with their parent project.
So basically, I'm getting three different views in three different browsers, and the browser I most want to use (Chrome) has the least useful view.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can get you (screenshots, etc.) that could help determine a solution.
I've been able to reproduce this issue in Chrome and I've also managed to fix it by clearing the cache. After that all tasks were grouped by project both in the web-app in Chrome and Chrome's extension.
Please try to follow these steps exactly:
1. Go to Chome's Setting -> Help page and make sure that the latest version is installed. The latest stable release is: 23.0.1271.97. If you're using the x.101 version as mentioned earlier - delete it and install the latest stable release as we can't provide any support for pre-releases of any browsers.
2. Log out of Todoist in the Chrome extension.
3. Then remove the extension (completely, not just disable it).
4. Reload Chrome.
5. Clear all of Todoist's offline data as described earlier - by removing todoist.com completely from the "All cookies and site data" list. Note - if you find Todoist on the list and click on it, it will show boxes with certain type of data stored online. Do not remove any of these boxes manually, instead use the X on the right side of the whole bar showing Todoist's data dnd remove it so that todoist.com won't be listed there at all.
6. Reload Chrome.
At this point, after logging into Todoist, the issue should be fixed. Just for the purpose of this test, please try to disable any other extensions that may in any way influence offline storage or dynamic apps such as ad-blockers, network performance "boosters", script-blockers etc.