persistent "Invalid date" error when adding tasks
Just experienced a very weird thing while trying to enter a task.
I wanted to enter a task to reoccur every 14 days. Using the + button on the top right of the web app start page, I entered the task: selected the project in the drop-down, typed the task (priority 4, i.e. no priority entered), & typed the due date info in the date box. Unfortunately, I made a typo when entering the date, and actually entered "ve 14 days", which of course gave me an "Invalid date" error.
Then I deleted "ve 14 days" and entered "ev 14 days". Here's where things got weird. The task entry window stayed open, with all of the task info (project, task text, date info) in it, and the "Invalid date" error remained beside the date box. Behind the task entry window, I could see that the start page was replaced by a list of Priority 1 tasks.
Thinking I was remembering the syntax wrong for entering reoccurring tasks, I tried a couple other dates - "every first day", "ev 15", etc., then pulled up the additional info on reoccurring dates to double check what I was typing/look for other possibilities to get the task (or two identical tasks) to occur approximately every two weeks. With each attempt, the task entry window with the most recent attempt's text and the "Invalid date" error remained open, and the page showing behind the task entry window changed with each attempt - no due date, overdue, priority 2, etc., but never anything that actually applied (Priority 4, today, 9/15, etc.).
After several attempts, I got fed up, and decided to go to the project view for that project and work on something else for a while. But when the project view loaded, there were multiple nearly-identical tasks showing. Except for the first attempt with the typo, each of my subsequent attempts HAD actually created a task, even though it didn't appear to do so.
Perhaps I'm being a bit of an idiot or doing something wrong, but I've never experienced anything like that while entering tasks before. It's not a huge problem, now that I know about it, just a bit annoying, but I thought I'd share this (very long, sorry!) description in case others had experienced something similar.
(Firefox 15.0, able to reproduce it after clearing cache/offline data, logging out, & restarting browser; don't have Chrome on this computer/can't install it & only have IE... not sure which old, un-updated version we're stuck on here, but anyway can't really check another browser right now.)
Asked by Jess on Sep 05, 2012 - 21:04
I've tried to reproduce this issue in Firefox 15.0 to no avail - both using the exact same data from your description and numerous different invalid and then valid dates and the task always got added without any issues (the input field disappeared and the view has changed).
Please tell me:
- Are you using any plugins in your browser (especially script-blocking plugins)?
- What exact task name did you type in (or can you reproduce it just by naming the task: "test")?
The task text was "check bank accounts" , but I've been able to duplicate it again just now using "test" as the task, just by typing "ve 15" as the due date, then when the invalid date error shows up, hitting tab once to move the cursor from the task box to the date box, typing "ev 15", and hitting enter again. The "test" task is created the second time, but the task entry window doesn't close, and the list of priority one tasks loads on the background page behind the window.
It also happened again this afternoon "in the wild" - I entered a task "lunch meeting - Baker Building - 9/17 @ noon" with the date "9/17@noon" and a similar thing happened - window didn't close, priority 1 task list loaded behind the window, task was created anyway. But, when I closed the task entry window, went back to my start page, clicked the +, and added the task again using "9/17@1200" instead of "9/17@noon", it worked as it should - window closed, page for 9/17 loaded with the list of all the tasks due 9/17.
As for plugins, I only have a few (Adobe Reader, MS Office, Flash), and no script-blocking ones. I have a number of add-ons (from Adlock to Zotero), but disabling them made no difference, the same thing happened again. I know in the past one of the AVG add-ons has interfered with Todoist loading properly, but I don't currently have AVG on this computer.
I've been able to reproduce this issue when using this date: "9/17@noon". It doesn't seems to occur when using the DD/MM date format, though.
I have passed it to the developers and we will try to fix it as soon as we can. Sorry for any inconvenience it might have caused you.