+ Add Question

Weirdness with tags and filters between platforms.

T

I noticed that in some cases, a filter that work on the web version will not work on the Android mobile version. That is, the same filter on Android does not produce the correct list of results.

So I was trying to figure out why. I have a tag that is just the bang "@!" which I use to distinguish tasks that I have to take action on. In experimenting, it seemed like filters that used it were not working correctly on Android, so I decided to try to rename it to see. However, lo and behold, renaming a tag appears to have stopped functioning for me! I tried it in both the Chrome version and the Windows version with the same results. It just goes back to what it was before with no apparent effect. The same thing happens if I try to rename any other tag. However, I have confirmed that deleting a tag works fine. If I try to rename a tag in the Android version, it will appear to accept the changed name, but revert to the original as soon as a sync happens (or at some point, presumably with a sync). I used to be able to rename tags a while back, perhaps a few days ago.

Are you aware of a problem with using a special character like a bang ! as a tag name?
Is there a reason why I can't rename tags?

Here is an example of a filter that does not seem to work between platforms:
(overdue | 30 days | no due date) & (p1 | p2 | p3 | today) & @!

This one works
(overdue | 30 days | no due date) & (p1 | p2 | p3 | today) & @test

All responses

Brendon Wadey staff
Replied on Feb 06, 2014 - 18:03

Hi,

What version of Android are you running, and are you updated to the latest version. It not saving changes might be a bug.

Now we use ! for filters/searches that basically means exclude this item, so if you put !@labelname. So your label being ! could be causing issues. And the different platforms just process it a bit differently.

We will take a look into it and see what is going on. Though, pretty sure it's just caused by the ! being used as a label.

Regards,
Brendon.

T
toochevere premium
Replied on Feb 06, 2014 - 23:24

The web version is of course just the web version. The android version of the app is the latest. The version of the Android OS is 4.1.2 on one device. The Windows version I just downloaded to test this.

I tried it on another android device, this time the device was running CM and was Android 4.3.1. I was able to rename the tag using this device and get rid of the ! label. As predicted, the filters starting working. Yay! (NOTE: I was not doing !@ which I understand as a boolean negation. I am doing @!. And it works fine in Chrome. But a moot point, it's gone now.)

The only weirdness that remains is that I cannot rename a tag still using the web version in Chrome. It just reverts back after hitting Save. This is not a huge issue in that I don't often rename tags, but at some point I might and it would be nice not to have to go to another platform to do it. I suspect that something else about the way I have set up tags is causing confusion to some logic.

For example, I have a tag called "testing". If I rename it to "brendon", it just pops back again. I can now rename in Android.


David Trey staff
Replied on Feb 07, 2014 - 06:41

Hello,

Thank you for your report, Ive passed it to the developers and we'll look into it. We've fixed a bug yesterday that allowed you to re-use an existing label name while renaming it. Now, it's not possible and will show you an error message, but it seems that this fix made it not possible to rename labels on the web. Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll fix that very soon.


Best regards,
David

T
toochevere premium
Replied on Feb 07, 2014 - 10:18

Awesome. no worries.

Brendon Wadey staff
Replied on Feb 13, 2014 - 10:08

Hi,

This should now be fixed.

Regards,
Brendon.

T
toochevere premium
Replied on Feb 14, 2014 - 12:02

The renaming works now, but unfortunately the issue with filters being inconsistent between platforms is still there. Things are perfect on the Web, but the Android version continues to give strange results. I tried with two different devices (a tab 3 running stock rom and an LG g pad running CM 11) with the exact same results. Something I noticed that may or may not be related is that some tags show up twice in the Android version, with different numbers of tasks showing.

T
toochevere premium
Replied on Feb 14, 2014 - 12:11

Never mind. The latest version in Android just updated and it seems to fix it.