Filters work differently depending on language setting
Dear customer support,
My task filters work differently on my devices / web service.
For instance on the web based version I have to add a space in front AND after a comma, separating two filters.
Recently Todoist appears in my language (non English), while before I had selected English as my preferred language.
It appeared the filters now are displayed in my mother language as well.
--> The filters work differently, depending on the language I have selected!
When I switch to English, they work fine. Switched back, they yield a different result!
The solution in my situation is to switch (all different browsers on different machines) to English again. I can imagine this is not the desired behaviour...
This needs someone looking into it, I suppose.
Please confirm, are you referring to the Dutch language? Also, could you please let us know what filters you're referring to exactly and copy paste a couple examples here? It would greatly help us to reproduce this issue.
Dutch is my mother tongue.
In english my filter is: "@lopend,od,14days"
Switched to dutch my filter changes automatically to: "@lopend, over tijd, 14 dagen"
So the filter gets translated as well.
The difference is that the tasks in category @lopend and all over due tasks aren't shown any more... Only tasks in the following 14 days.
When I switch back to english, it works again...
When I change the filter to: "@lopend,overtijd,14dagen" it also works (spaces removed)!
The overdue query is a bit "special" and it works best when used at the beginning of the search so:
over tijd, @lopend, 14 dagen
works correctly. I can confirm that "@lopend, over tijd, 14 dagen" doesn't work, and "@lopend,overtijd,14dagen" works and in English, it also only works when spaces are removed.
I will pass it to the developers, but for now please either don't use spaces or, if you wouldn't mind, put overdue tasks at the beginning.
This issue has now been fixed and the search "@lopend, over tijd, 14 dagen" will work correctly.