Issue Creating Task from Email
Hi there - in the past hour or so, my ability to create a task from email has changed. Normally, I click option create a task from the email and the new task box appears. The cursor is typically on the left side of the email where I add my tag and the title. In the past hour though, my cursor defaults to the right side of the email where I cannot type, and I cannot get back to the left side to add the tag and title. Did something change, am I doing this wrong now, or is there an issue?
Could you please clarify, are you using a browser extension with Gmail or are you using our Outlook plugin? You are clicking on the "Add Task" button at the top right? Could you please send a screenshot of the issue to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com so we can clarify the exact issue.
I'm having a similar problem with my Chrome extension. That just started a little while ago. While I'm in my gmail account, I click on the extension and it opens. I'll select "Add Task" and then when I click "Add email" it shows the email just by the subject and when I add my tag and click save it shows as my tag is part of the email subject. I have to go to To-Doist.com to separate them.
I will send screen shots to address you provided above.
Please hit the space bar before you start typing the label and it will convert to a label.
That does not work.
I've just replied via email.
If the subject of the mail is "Send report", then you should have:
Send report @work
within the input field and this will create a task with a label.
Hi everyone - this is still not working. David - my problem is not being able to create the tag - I figured the space bar piece out and it was in my email sent earlier. The problem is that the title of the task is not showing up OR it is being added to the title of the email and appears as a continuous hyperlink.
Thank you for clarifying. Indeed, if I add some further text after the label, it will be added within the link (although only visually, the link will still work).
I've passed this to the developers.
As it turns out, this is unfortunately how it will work from now on as in order to hide all the code showing within the task's input field, we can't separate the text belonging to the subject line from the text that shouldn't be part of it.
If you need to separate the subject line from further text, you can use a dash or a "pipe" character | so you can see better where the subject ends.
Hi David - no offense but that answer can't be right. I have thousands of tasks where this has worked as normal and now you're telling me that this is how it is going forward? That would be digressing and so far you guys have only improved the program. As an FYI, I tried it 10 minutes and and it worked like it always has. I just tried it a minute ago and the same problem happened again. This does not look like an improvement that I'm not liking - it looks more like a glitch. To recap, the system I've always used when creating a task from an email is is add the tag (@tag) single space, subject or name of my task, single space, email code that gets shortened to the hyperlink once I add the talk.
but now you're saying this that my only option is: email code (which gets shortened) followed by tag, followed by subject or name of task - but that I won't be able to see the task name first any longer?
You will still be able to name the task as you wish, however a task created from an email will have all text you type into it underlined. This is unfortunately a compromise we had to make to make editing of such tasks more user-friendly as now you won't see the entire code and have to find which part of it is the title, but whatever name you use for this task - it will become the link.
You can leave the title as it is and then add " - followup" or any other text there, but this text will be underlined too.
Also - labels will still work unchanged so again, it's just a matter of underlining the remaining text as a "tradeoff" for easier editing and no code in the task content.
Let me highlight a related problem. I think it is fantastic that there is now google calendar support. However, tasks that are tied to outlook emails have titles that are kind of cumbersome in the calendar because they begin with "Outlook Email:" So unless I expand the window a lot I can't see what the task is actually about. Before, when I could type ahead of the email icon in the title, I could put something more informative first in the task title.
Thank you for your feedback, we'll look into optimizing this even further. In the past, you would see a very long code containing the ID of the message, we've shortened it already to replace it with just "Outlook Email" to let you know this task is related to a message in Outlook.