Tasks are jumping between days
I've noticed for the past few days that tasks seem to jump from one day to another. In fact, if I compare the web interface to the Chrome extension, sometimes the same task will appear in two different days at the same time. Additionally, I had a few timed reminders, and they started jumping around by a few hours.
I believe this all started when, at the beginning of the week, my system (and many others in Israel) mistakenly switched from daylight savings time to standard, due to a delayed update on the timezone file.
This actually makes it very difficult to get the most benefit out of todoist, as some priority tasks have been slipping out of my immediate radar. If there's some way to fix the problem, I'd be very happy to hear about it.
Head to Todoist.com --> Top Right Corner --> Settings. On that page make sure that the Time Zone is set to the same timezone as your system.
When changing timezones or even daylight savings Todoist asks you to accept the change, please always remember to accept this change otherwise issues such as this can occur.
Thanks for the prompt reply.
I just switched back to my proper timezone (Asia/Jerusalem), and now my scheduled reminders are all listed as an hour later than their definition. The strange thing is that, if I edit the task, it clearly gives the time I entered (e.g., 7:30 am), but in the overall display it shows 8:30 am.
I also ran into a number of UI bugs during this timezone change. The system kept prompting me to change my timezone, but wouldn't let me click on either approve or never ask again, I had to continually click the X in the top-right.
Thanks for your attention to this. I know that timezone bugs are never a fun one to deal with. Todoist is a great product, I'm a very happy user!
Which browser or app are you using? Please try clearing the cache for that browser (IE for Outlook/Desktop app).
It can happen after this kind of situation that the tasks do get confused and will require a removal and recreation to repair it. Which is why we try to state to make sure to accept the change in the first place. We are even considering removing the option and doing it automatically in the future.
I use: web interface (in Chrome), Chrome extension, iPad and Android.
I just tried opening up the web interface with Firefox, which I've never used to access Todoist before, and the times are messed up there too.
Clearing cache in Chrome had no effect either.
The only way to ensure that all your tasks will have the same day and time is to have the exact same and correct time zone set up not only in Todoist, but also across all your devices and whenever Todoist asks you if you want to adjust your time zone - always agree.
Please note that there's a difference in the system time on your computer and its time zone. You may have the correct time, but the wrong zone. In case of DST, there should be a checkbox in your time zone settings to activate it without changing the zone. In Todoist, during DST, it may ask you to adjust the zone and again - you must agree.
That said, if you're physically in a GMT+4 zone and DST changes it to GMT+3, then on Todoist, you must also have +3.
If you've added tasks while having the wrong zone, then unfortunately, you will need to change their time, but if, as you write, their time is correctly entered, but shows up as incorrect, then this is a typical issue when there are differences between Todoist's time zone and the time zone on your device.
As I mentioned, there was a UI bug that didn't allow changing the timezones on that window, *and* the prompt from Todoist (1) asked me to change to an incorrect timezone (I'm still at +3, it asked me to change to +2), and (2) there was no indication on that screen that "if you choose the wrong option, all of your tasks will be misscheduled."
At this point, is there any way to get my account into a reasonable state again? This is really causing me issues.
I guess one other possibility: if you're trying to determine my timezone on your servers, it could be that you have an out-of-date tzdata package, which is leading it to think that I'm in UTC+2 when I'm actually in UTC+3.
If +2 is correct according to your current time, then please select it. Todoist will always suggest the correct zone, but it always counts DST into the time so even if you're physically in UTC+3, but in DST which changes the time by an hour, it's GMT+2.
That said, please set the time zone Todoist suggests and tasks that show the 1 hour time delay will be fixed. If you've added tasks while having the incorrect zone, you may need to correct their times afterwards.
We will consider changing this system and no longer ask for the time zone, but adjust it automatically. Sorry for the inconvenience.