+ Add Question

too many labels

P

I upgraded to premium and when I looked at my tags or labels list (query on "@") it returned a slew them, most of which I did not make and did not want. (e.g. it returns just "%" and odd single words whichj are shown as labels but are not identifiying any task or project etc.

Is there a way to mark a bunch of labels at once (similar to marking multiple tasks and updating them all at once. also, what causes this? If it keeps happening on the premium account then it makes it more difficult, not less.



All responses

David Trey staff
Replied on Sep 05, 2013 - 13:10 UTC

Hello,

Unfortunately, it's not possible to delete multiple labels at once, please right-click on each label and select "Delete" from the right-click menu. Sorry for the inconvenience.

But before you do that, it would be very helpful for us (to identify this issue), if you could post some examples of what exactly you see there - what "odd single words" are there exactly?

Also, please tell me - have you been sending tasks via email? It's possible to attach labels via email and every word that starts with @ in an email will be converted to a label so, for example, if you send an email containing a list of Twitter accounts in a signature, they could be converted to labels. Also, did you use the "import from template" feature?


Best regards,
David

P
pjd
Replied on Sep 05, 2013 - 17:06 UTC

This happened almost as soon as I upgraded -- i.e. I did not do anything before I used the single "@" to see my list of labels.
Also-- I do not use email and have not used it, It seems to conme up with labels/tags that are simply snippets of items. It also shows as a tag/label any date or time insered in the description row (i.e. noit in the due date list (and perhaps some of those as well, includoing partial dates. ALL of the labels in question show 0 instances in the listings -- I have alkready eliminated about 2/3 of them -- here are the rest

0 15m
0 1h
0 2012-11-18
0 2012-12-16
0 2012-12-9
0 _tx400
0 bill
0 drupal
0 ecis@2012-11-7@2ndcup
0 ecis@2ndcup
0 fee

David Trey staff
Replied on Sep 05, 2013 - 20:53 UTC

Thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately, without knowing how to trigger this issue, it's near-impossible to find out its cause. Based on what you wrote, it seems mostly like converted dates. Have you ever tried to type something line @15m or @2012-11-18 within the task's name?

As for the rest (bill, drupal, fee) - did you ever copy/paste text from websites into Todoist's task names?


Best regards,
David

P
pjd
Replied on Sep 06, 2013 - 04:33 UTC

No on both counts except I remember a couple of attempts to add a time (@15min) as a label, but not the date. Also I never copy/pasted from a website. such as the items fee, bill, etc (at least I don't remember doing so, and if I did I was not able to use the info (note that all the items were NOT connected with a task -- they were just floating -- I would only have added the labels in a specific task, not created a bunch to use.

The trigger seems to have been the upgrade to premium, which suddenly gave me about 50 new labels -- more than half of which I had already deleted when I raised the issue.

Well -- it hasn't happened again -- yet -- so maybe it was me.

David Trey staff
Replied on Sep 06, 2013 - 12:08 UTC

Thank you for clarifying. Please note that you don't have to actually go to the label list and create a new one to have an "empty" label. If you would type in @15min within the task's name, save it and then either remove it from the task or delete or complete this task, then such label would remain on the list with 0 tasks assigned to it. Labels are created automatically when you type something after @ in the task's name.

I'm not sure why this has happened, the only options that I could think of would be, as I've mentioned - either copy/pasting text that contains labels, sending tasks via email or importing them from templates. If this will happen again, please let us know and if you can then remember at what point this has occurred (what triggered) it, this would be very helpful to identify the source of this issue. Sorry for the inconvenience.


Best regards,
David