Filtering by day and label trouble
Hi. I've been having trouble with task filtering for a while now so I figured it is time to report it. I usually like to filter my tasks by "tod @work" or "tod @home" depending on where I am. At some point recently the default startup filter went from being displayed as "today, overdue" to "(today, overdue). I think it was around the same time that adding @work or @home to the filter box didn't work. I discovered though, that if I went back and removed the extra single space that was created at the end of my query and pressed Enter again, the query worked and returned my desired tasks. I can see the difference in the URL of the Chrome (Version 27.0.1453.116) browser when I submit the query. One has _ at the end of the address and one does not.
I'm also still waiting to be able to do this type of query (date and label together) on the iPhone app. It would be very nice.
Thank you for contacting us. We have improved our search quite recently by introducing advanced search options. Please refer to this page for details: https://todoist.com/Help/filters
Unfortunately, this new search options don't work on our mobile apps yet and combining date and label queries also doesn't work on the iOS app. We've almost finished our brand new improved iPhone and iPad app and it will allow you to use such queries (it will be released very soon). Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thanks for that information. I don't think you quite understood the main issue however.
A search like
(today, overdue) @home
as described on the page you listed above doesn't work immediately because it automatically inserts a trailing space on the end when I type it and press enter. If I then go back and backspace to remove the final space and press enter again, the search works.
This happens when using a browser on a desktop, not on iOS device.
P.S. I look forward to the new iOS app too.
The query you've mentioned seems to work fine, I've just tested it on Firefox and Chrome and the underscores _ at the end of the URL don't have to be removed, it works with them.
Please log out of Todoist, go to Chrome's Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Content Settings -> All cookies and site data and remove todoist.com from the list, then reload the browser and log back in and let me know if the issue persists.
You're right. I thought I had figured out the problem, but I think it was just the refresh, not the space. I removed the cookies and site data. When I restarted Chrome it had me log in to Todoist.com again.
The problem still persists. The more I fiddle with it the more I realize it is a strange problem. If I search by 'today' it is fine. Then when I use 'today @work' it only searches on the second time I press enter. If I then switch to 'today @home' it works fine on the first enter. If I add 'overdue' as in 'today, overdue @home' or 'today, overdue @work' then it starts to have problems again but repeated enters doesn't fix it. I wonder if it is something in my particular data. I've had trouble occasionally in the past when something in a particular entry seems to throw the system off. (In particular the "after" date setting seemed to throw some stuff off, especially from the iOS app.)
We have recently improved the search and with it, changed the syntax so the correct search is (overdue, today) @home. You should be able to search today @home but if you include multiple dates or time-related queries and mix them with labels, you'll have to use the new system which requires brackets and supports boolean operators.
As mentioned earlier, please check the help page explaining the new syntax and try some combinations with & and | and let me know if there are certain queries that don't work correctly.
Thanks. I will continue to play with it. The "today @home" search doesn't always work for me, but so far as long as I use the Boolean operators, then it does.
So I'm now using
today & @home
(today, overdue) & @home
although this is not what is suggested in the "label queries" section of your help page on filtering tasks.