+ Add Question

Default project


How can I define a default project? I mean i would like to include all the tasks that i enter to accumulate into a default project and then sort then at leisure.

In the rush of things (which usually is in office) it is difficult to enter the task and then think immediately which project should I assign the task to.

In the suggested manner, i can have the todo on list and then later at leisure (at home) classify them at leisure.

All responses

Brendon Wadey staff
Replied on May 02, 2013 - 18:28 UTC


There is no direct way to choose a default project when adding a new task, but you can have the same outcome with this workaround. This is only available on the web version and the browser add-ons.

Your list of Projects on the left hand side actually dictates which project is selected when adding a new task. The project that is on the top of the list of your projects is the one that shows up when you add a new task.

If you grab the 3 dots on the left side of the project name and drag it to the top, that project becomes your default.

To solve your problem, you could create a project with the name of "default", or something similar and drag it to the top, then everything gets added to that automatically.

I hope I explained this well enough, if not let me know, and I can explain further.


Joe B premium
Replied on Nov 05, 2013 - 04:00 UTC

When I do this and add a task, I still get INBOX. I can't drag a project above the INBOX.

Brendon Wadey staff
Replied on Nov 05, 2013 - 04:27 UTC

Hi Joe,

The Inbox project is now the default project and can't be changed in order. A new design will be soon be coming that will change the way it works and looks.


Timothy Wise
Replied on May 01, 2014 - 00:07 UTC

Any update to this? I really find the Inbox being the default adding extra clicks to get the new tasks into the proper project.

Brendon Wadey staff
Replied on May 01, 2014 - 00:10 UTC


No updates on this at this time, and as of now, it's not likely to change for awhile.


Mike Torres premium
Replied on Aug 19, 2014 - 00:48 UTC

Chiming in on this - ideally in Todoist Settings there's a way to select a default project (even if it only works on the web)

Megan Doud
Replied on Aug 25, 2014 - 21:44 UTC

I would love to see the ability to change the default project too. Hopefully soon...?

Blair Golson premium
Replied on Sep 08, 2014 - 21:30 UTC

Yep, I'd love it, too. Seems strange that "Inbox" is the default -- as I never, myself, put anything into my "Inbox."

Michael Moss premium
Replied on Jan 03, 2015 - 13:47 UTC

I would also like to add my input to this. The inbox is kinda what we want in a way, but for example 90% of my actions go to my main project, which I eventually resort to the subprojects etc. With the other 10% I *mostly* put them in the other head projects before sorting them out later.