+ Add Question

Mess after sync

GD

I seem to have several issues with Todoist this morning, possibly resulting from a sync with Android 4.1.2 on a Nexus 4.

Completed items reappeared - seems to be related to those that were moved between projects.

Some items moved / added since previous sync are now 'ghosts' - i.e. you can find them if you search but they don't show up in the project list.

I have downloaded the backup but there doesn't seem to be a way to restore the entire Todoist - only by project. Even within a project you need to delete all existing entries before restore - a task made more difficult for the lack of a Select All function.

I am now stuck in a quasi-broken state - is there an easy way to fix this?

All responses

David Trey staff
Replied on Jan 03, 2013 - 06:27

Hello Graham,

In order to fix this issue, We would greatly appreciate if you could provide an example how to reproduce this issue step-by-step so we can identify its source based on the steps required to trigger it. Also, when you search for these tasks, do you see the names of existing projects next to them? Are these "full" projects or project groups (projects with an asterisk * in front of their names which aren't accessible)?

As for importing tasks, there is a multi-select option in Todoist. Please hold the Ctrl key while clicking on task names and multiple tasks will be selected this way. Then you can choose the "Delete" option from the menu that will appear at the top to remove all selected tasks at once. Alternatively, you can create a project with the same name and delete the old project, then import all tasks to the new empty project.


Best regards,
David

GD
Graham Davies premium
Replied on Jan 03, 2013 - 07:12

Hi David

Thanks for your quick response. I don't seem to be able to reproduce the issue. All I know is that I moved (on a Windows machine) a stand-alone task from a project (not full) to another project as a sub-task of an asterisk'd task. When I sync'd with the android version and went back to the web version (on a Mac) the task that I'd moved was missing from the new project display. However, searching for a word in the task showed it in the search results (with the right new project) but clicking on the project (new or old) the task was not visible - and wasn't in the completed tasks.

I then tried to fix the issue by deleting all the tasks in that project (I didn't want to delete the project because I thought I would lose the completed tasks). I did use the multiselect function - but as far as I can see you must manually Ctrl-click on every task in turn - i.e. there is no equivalent of Shift-click to select a range. I've now imported the backup for that project but can't face doing the same for all my other projects. I guess it would be helpful to have a 'roll-back' feature - or the ability to replace the entire task / project list with a backup.

I appreciate there isn't much you can do if you can't reproduce the issue - but thought it best to let you know.

Thanks,
Graham

David Trey staff
Replied on Jan 03, 2013 - 08:11

Graham,

Thank you for this information, there's one thing that might have be related to this issue which unfortunately may be too late to check - when you've opened your tasks on your Mac, did you try to manually log out and back in from the Mac app to make sure it's not a caching issue?

The Mac app (as all our apps) utilizes local storage for task data, but just as other apps, the search function is not local, when you search for a task, the results come from the server. That said, it's possible that the local data you saw through the Mac app didn't show due to sync issues so please let me know if you've tried to log out and back in to rewrite all local data or, if it's not too late, try to do it now.

As for the multi-select feature - we will consider adding more options to it incl. a "select all" option or allow quick data recovery. Thank you for your feedback.


Best regards,
David

GD
Graham Davies premium
Replied on Jan 03, 2013 - 08:54

Thanks David

Could have been a cache issue on the Mac. I tried shift-reload on Chrome - but doesn't sound as if that is sufficient from your reply. Just went back to the Mac and no apparent issue at the moment.

Thanks for considering the 'select-all'. :)

Graham