Can "Add email as task" work in Gmail's Split Screen views?
It doesn't seem to work for me.
Seems to only work on the normal view. Can this feature be added? Thanks!
please tell me:
- Are you referring to any particular GMail Labs add-on?
- What URL can you see in the address bar when reading an email in this mode?
- What's the content of the added task (the text you see when trying to edit this task)?
- I'm using the theme straight from Gmail. It's a fairly recent change, but the new Gmail allows users to toggle between split screen views. Here's a screenshot of the menu, located on the far right, next to the settings cog:
- The URL doesn't change from my inbox overview to the single message. (ie, No unique message identifier. Bummer!)
- The task doesn't give me an option to "Add email as task", but only "Add website as task". Understandable, as per above note.
I can toggle to the "normal view," and it does give me the "Add email as task" option, which works well. I'm just wondering if I can be saved an extra click. :)
this seems to be an option from the "Preview Pane" add-in from "Labs". Unfortunately, it indeed locks the ID of the message and therefore makes it impossible for our plugin to identify it.
You could try to contact the developers of the "Preview Pane" add-in and ask them if they could consider enabling the message ID in the URL while using this add-in. We're very sorry for the inconvenience, but we can't find a different way to identify a message in GMail without its unique ID.
Oh, I didn't realize it was a Labs add-in! Thanks for pointing that out and the quick response.
I had this same issue. You don't have to disable the lab everytime you want to add an email link. The lab can remain enabled. You can temporarily remove the split pane and click the "Toggle Split Pane Mode" button just to the left of the "Settings" button. Then you can find the email you'd like to add as a task and follow the usual process. You can then enable the split screen pane by clicking the same button.