Automatically created subtask
Whenever I create a new task in one of my subprojects (first level) the task is immediately categorized as a subtask. This problem occurs only in this specific subproject.
The task is not indented yet the task above it summarizes all tasks added below it, i.e. all new tasks added.
This is a very big inconvenience: I store all tasks I have to do in that subproject. Assuming I created task a with date x, than add task b (automatically becoming a subtask of a) and eventually mark task a as done in the today view, both a and b will be marked as done and removed although I haven't done task b.
This started today. Could it have to do with the number of tasks in the subproject (currently +/- 100) ? I also moved some other tasks there from other projects without "unindenting" them - could this be the problem? How do I reverse it?
Thanks in advance
the number of tasks in this project shouldn't be an issue.
If you add the task B (from your example), does it look like it's a level 1 task placed directly below task A without any indent level and yet it behaves as task A's sub-task?
Unfortunately, I can't reproduce this issue, please tell me:
- On which indent level(s) were the tasks that you've moved from a different projects?
- On which indent level(s) are the moved tasks right now?
- Do you add tasks using the "Add task" function or the "Add task below"/"Add task above" option from the gear-icon menu?
- Are any of these tasks without a checkbox (with an asterisk * at the front of the task name)?
- Do you know what steps exactly need to be done to reproduce this issue? Can you reproduce it be creating some test-projects and repeat the steps you've taken to trigger this bug?
I'm sorry for the inconvenience. For now, you could try creating a new project and moving all or some of these tasks there to see if it helps or editing the previously moved tasks by clicking on them and then saving them again without making any further changes.
As always: Thanks for answering and especially answering to quickly!
Task B looks like a level 1 task and acts like A's sub-task. That's correct.
- They were on different indent-levels although most of them on the highest posible (level 5, I assume)
- Now all tasks are supposed to be / look like they are on indent-level 1 - i.e. no indent
- The bug persist no matter how I add another task but only if I add it at the bottom of the subproject (apparently)
- some of the tasks are without checkbox though that does not seem to make any difference
- I don't know how to reproduce the bug but my guess would be copying 10-20 tasks from different indent levels at the same time to a new project.
My personal impression is that the there is still some part of the tasks "dna" that thinks that it is on some indent level other than 1...
Moving e.g. 5 "fake" sub-tasks and the A task to a new project, the new project shows the sub-tasks as indented. If I now remove all indents and move the tasks back, I only shift the problem upward (the former lowest task becomes the new A and the 6 tasks moved around become "fake" sub-tasks. "fake" meaning that they are not indented but behave as if they were.
I still can't reproduce this issue :(
I've tried moving multiple tasks from multiple projects across all indent levels - both combined and separately mixing indent levels, adding them to new projects and sub-projects and after adding 2 new tasks at the bottom and checking off the first added one, it only gets checked off without the second one.
I will further investigate this issue and try even more combinations, but for now, in order to fix this, please try to select and move all tasks within the bugged project to a newly created project and let me know if if helps.
This is not a common bug and we would definitely want to fix it, but it's only possible after knowing the exact step-by-step process which causes it and without this, I'm afraid there's not much we can do about it at this point. Still, thank you for your report, as soon as we make any progress, we'll let you know. Sorry for the inconvenience.
No problem man, as soon as I am motivated enough to click a hundred times I will move my tasks. Something I apparently forgot to mention: After adding a task to the bottom and pressing "esc" (to quit the new-taks-"screen") the tipical "show-indent" arrow appears on the task above (to use the previous example: on the task A).
However, I get that you can't fix something that probably both really unlikely and not reproducable. Thanks for your endeavours anyway!