How can I setup a filter in Gmail to transfer emails to Todoist?
I would like to setup a filter in Gmail which would automatically forward some emails to my different Todoist projects.
But before I can do that, Gmail asks to verify the forwarding email adress and sends an confirmation code to verify permission to this adress, (project.XXXX@todoist.net) and, of course, I cannot confirm the permission because it has been sent to a project and appears nowhere.
How could I do that?
I'm afraid this is not possible :(
The reason why the confirmation mail doesn't appear in any task is because in order to send tasks via e-mail, you have to add and verify the address you want to send tasks from so you'd have to add and verify Google's own e-mail address.
Of course that's not possible and therefore you won't be able to verify your Gmail filter address.
As a workaround, if you have a stand-alone e-mail client (Outlook, Thunderbird etc.), you could use it to create a forwarding rule. You could then create a separate e-mail address which you could use as a forwarding address for Gmail. From there, your e-mail client could forward these mails directly to Todoist.
- you create a new account: email@example.com,
- create a rule in Gmal to forward specific mails to this address,
- then you add firstname.lastname@example.org on your Todoist's address list (in the window that appears once you click the mail icon to get the address) and confirm that it's your address,
- go to your e-mail client and set a rule to forward everything that's being sent to email@example.com to your Todoist project address (project.XXXX@todoist.net).
The only downside is, that you'll see "FW: " at the beginning of each task name.
Thanks for your answer, I will try the xworkaround.
There is a solution for this very problem I ran into myself. Perhaps it's a good idea to let people know in some way or another.
In Gmail I added a different forwarding email adress. On that account I received the verification code. What I then did, was look at the mail adress the code was sent from. Which turned out to be Gmail Team [firstname.lastname@example.org]. It gets real simple from here:
1. In Todoist, go to 'Inbox'
2. Go to 'Task actions'
3. Choose 'Email tasks to this project' from the dropdown menu
4. Go to 'Email adresses you wish to accept tasks from'
5. Add 'email@example.com'; to this list
6. In Gmail, add your personal inbox mail adress as a forwarding adress (for example: "firstname.lastname@example.org")
7. In Todoist, go to 'Inbox' and wait for the verification code. It should come in correctly by now.
8. In Gmail, enter the verification code where you add forwarding adresses.
9. There you go! You can now use your personal Todoist mail adress in your filters.