+ Add Question

Restructuring / rearranging tasks frustrating?

N

I've been adding a lot of tasks and I now wanted to clean them up some and rearrange them better, and I found that doing so is almost impossible because A) there are bugs and B) sometimes it is not clear how the UI is supposed to behave.

Example of A)

I have 2 big tasks, each with 5-10 subtasks, I select both big tasks (while collapsed), and move them to another (empty) project. As I look into that project, it seems like the structure (main tasks + sub tasks) has been randomly shuffled around. Some subtasks are on the top level, all subtasks of main task 1 have been made subtasks of a promoted subtask of main task 2, it's a complete mess.

Example of B)

How tasks and subtasks work is very much unclear. The fact that a task can be a subtask of a task that is on the same level really hurts. It seems like you always have to keep all tasks collapsed while moving tasks to make sure that they don't accidentally turn into subtasks after you move them. Also, sometimes pressing the indent button does nothing, apparently, when a task has subtasks... why not just indent all subtasks when you indent a parent task? As it is now, as soon as a task has subtasks, it's stuck on its level?

I really like Todoists design and simplicity, but it doesn't exactly do me any good if I can't use it...

All responses

David Trey staff
Replied on Jul 06, 2011 - 07:39

Hello Niels,

there seems to be some bug in the reordering process. See here:
http://todoist.com/Support/showQuestion/148/

Did you reorder your tasks before moving them?

If not, which browser are you using?
Do you use Todoist directly through the website or through an app/add-on (Todoist for Outlook, Firefox, Chrome, Todoist Anywhere etc.)?


Best regards,
David

N
nielsm premium
Replied on Jul 06, 2011 - 07:54

I believe I did some reordering before I moved them, though the structure I found after moving them had to relation to the structure it had before I started reordering.

I used Opera.

I now switched to Firefox and I have managed to reproduce something (though probably not exactly the same thing).

Procedure:

Created 2 new projects (test 1, test 2).
In project "test 1" I created the following tasks:

task 1
task 1 - 1
task 1 - 2
task 1 - 3

Then I added some subtasks to "task 1 - 2" so I have:

task 1
task 1 - 1
task 1 - 2
task 1 - 2 - 1
task 1 - 2 - 2
task 1 - 3

Then I collapse everything, click on the cog of "task 1" and move it to project "test 2".

Everything gets moved except "task 1 - 3".

N
nielsm premium
Replied on Jul 06, 2011 - 07:55

(Seems like the form ate my indentation. All tasks with 2 numbers were indented one level, all tasks with 3 numbers were indented 2 levels.)

David Trey staff
Replied on Jul 06, 2011 - 08:21

I've tried to reproduce the above example in Firefox. If I got it right, it's:

- task1
| - task1a
| - task1b
| - task1c

I added

| | - task1b1
| | - task1b2

and reordered the last two to put them under task1b, getting this structure:

- task1
| - task1a
| - task1b
| | - task1b1
| | - task1b2
| - task1c

Moved task1 to another new project and everything got moved properly.

I've repeated the whole process 3 times:
- without collapsing
- collapsing each level separately
- collapsing only task1

It always worked perfectly.

The only time I managed to destroy the order of many tasks and sub-tasks so far was when I did a lot of reordering on a task with 25-sub-task.

I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue, as soon as we manage to exactly determine what's causing it, we'll fix it ASAP.


Best regards,
David

N
nielsm premium
Replied on Jul 06, 2011 - 08:38

I added the two additional tasks by clicking on the cog of "task 1 - 2" and selecting "add tasks below". I just managed to reproduce it again. Complete procedure:

1. Click on add task.
2. enter "task 1" -> press enter
3. click on indent arrow
4. enter "task 1 - 1" -> enter
5. enter "task 1 - 2" -> enter
6. enter "task 1 - 3" -> enter
7. Done adding tasks.
8. click on cog of "task 1 - 2" -> add tasks below.
9. click on indent arrow
10. enter "task 1 - 2 - 1" -> enter
11. enter "task 1 - 2 - 2" -> enter
12. Done adding tasks.
13. Collapse "task 1 - 2"
14. Collapse "task 1"
15. click on cog of "task 1" -> move to another project.

At the end of the day, I did get the structure I wanted, though I think the real problem is that indentation doesn't always correspond to parent / child tasks and that you can't change the indentation of tasks that already have child tasks (or at least, it seems that way). If it wasn't for those problems then restructuring would be a breeze. As it stands, if the structure gets messed up, it looks like it's usually easier to just start over from scratch than trying to fix it.

David Trey staff
Replied on Jul 06, 2011 - 08:47

Thank you for the feedback, you're right, now it worked for me too.

I didn't even have to collapse anything. Seems like a bug with the "add task below function".

Again, sorry for any inconvenience, we'll fix it ASAP.


Best regards,
David

David Trey staff
Replied on Sep 08, 2011 - 17:28

Hello Niels,

this bug has been fixed. You can now add tasks using the "Add task below/above" option and if you move parent tasks containing sub-tasks added this way, the structure will not be damaged.


Best regards,
David